10.14.2010

Parenting is...

It turns out that being a full time masters student, a full time secretary, and a full time momm...I mean minion makes one somewhat busy.  Who would have guessed?

So, the speedy version of the last month and a half:
Too much. *pleh*
Bananas: messy and delicious. What more could you ask for in a food?  These have become a staple.
Bananas!

The split grip.





























For my half-birthday (09.08.10): Avocados!

Plus: messy, easy to hold, delicious

Minus: minor allergic reaction

Next time we'll have to get the fancy fruit and vegetable wash instead of just rinsing it with water.
The grab.
Happy half-birthday to the King!



































I know you're worried that he's the messiest King in history.  It's okay: after dinner is bath time!
It's what time?

Oh, hi there.

Ah-choo!

You didn't say baff time was so fun!


Julian has learned new expressions!
This is the raspberry monkey!
Kiss the penguin!






































He has also broken my heart with his actions...

We were playing on the floor with some blocks (sitting up by himself makes playing together a lot more interactive now) when King Julian signaled that he wanted to be picked up.  Being the obliging minion that I am, I scooped him into my arms.  He wrapped his arms around me and rested his cheek on my shoulder.  Then he released me and wanted back down to play with his blocks.  This was the first time that King Julian has asked for a hug -- it's always been something that we would initiate.  I never knew that such a simple action could touch me so deeply.

...and his beauty.















Which lead me to this realization:

Parenting is an exercise in daily heartbreak.  Luckily, it's also an experience of existential joy.

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow lady, I had no idea you had a blog that wasn't livejournal! *squee* This makes me SO happy!

    I miss you too! Mary and I were just talking about how we miss you.

    You made one cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more motivation to post here, because it's for Julian. However, I have less time than ever, so it's still a difficult process to get things posted. I love reading about your activities and crafty projects. :D

    Aww...we miss Mary too. How is she doing?

    Thank you! We tend to think so, but we might be a bit biased. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait until those hug requests come at different stages when you least expect it...Sometimes the unexpected ones from teens can be breathtaking. K

    ReplyDelete